Thursday, July 19, 2012

Positive traction anyone?

Yet another update from the long list to get you all caught up is the finding of a posi rear. I went along with my good friend Corey Buckwalter and his dad to pick up a posi rear that he found in a early 80's El Camino for his '78 Malibu that I will be featuring on the blog in the next month or two. As his dad and I walked around looking for a potential motor swap for my car, we came upon a mid 70's Pontiac Le mans station wagon and just as we pasted it, his dad goes. "How about checking this for a posi rear?" I said there's no way but still checked just to make sure. When I looked underneath the car, I was blown away. Not only was it a posi rear but the spring and shocks were in the same location. My mind was officially blown away with astonishment. So we walked up to the entrance and told the guys that I wanted the rear. So 20 minutes later we had two posi rears loaded in the back of the truck and on our way home.
When we got home I started doing a little research on my rear that i bought and couldn't find a darn thing on it. But from looking at pictures of rears like it i think its a Pontiac 8.75 rear end, but I'm not certain. As we installed it into my car we took one of the drums off and it could actually fit completely over my old rears drum. It was amazing, and as we looked at the brakes on the Pontiac rear, it looked as though the pads were changed not long before the car was sent to the junkyard. Which was a big plus for me since i can hardly find any info on the rear let alone bake components. When we finished it, we dropped it down and Corey and I took it for a test spin. At first the posi didn't want to break free around turns like it had a spool, but once it started getting used again and started driving it, it loosened up nice. An let me tell you one thing, having posi is so nice, even though it still has 2.73 gears, its still so much more fun then peg leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment